Friday, October 10, 2008

Yes on Prop.8!

This will probably be my only post without pictures, but the most important one to date. Wednesday night there was a broadcast talking about Prop.8. I was in class, but thakfully Mike went, andthey said to blog about this issue. Although I'm pretty sure everyone that reads my blog has the same views as me, you never know. Also, maybe this will help to open some discussions on how we can better communicate the importance of this Proposition.
I can't say I am very impressed with the commercial I have seen supporting Prop.8. I hope we are not missing the very important effects of this. Marriage by definition is between man and woman. A girl in my ward put it best by stating that Marriage is an eternal law, as eternal as any law of the universe. It was in effect when God himself was married. We do not have the right nor the authority to change that law.
Some people may think that we are denying rights to others by passing this. We are not, same sex couples still have all the rights of married couples. Those will not be taken away. David told me a conversation between him and a co-worker. (I'm not quoting people exactly, just what I can remember from the conversation). The man David was speaking to is gay. He asked David, "so you are saying that I shouldn't be allowed to get married?" David replied "I am all for you getting married. If you want to go out and find a girl and get married, I completely support you, and I hope that you do, because that's what marriage is; the union of a man and woman." (David has a way with words, so I'm sure he worded this better.) So, anyone can get married. We are not taking this right away, you just need to understand that marriage is between a man and woman, and we can not change that definition.
There are so many other reasons why we should vote Prop.8. If it does not pass, churches could be sued for not marrying gay couples, and for not letting them adopt. Churches in Massachusetts where gay marriage is legal, have already stopped adoption services. Children growing up in homes of same-sex couples will be denied the very important attributes that only Fathers and Mothers can provide. Each child needs a Father and a Mother. Neither can replace the other.
I'm not very good at organizing my thoughts, but I hope that this will make sense to all those that read it, and that it will help you to be motivated to take action to preserve marriage.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

AMEN!!! seriously i don't know how people don't get this, i have a friend, who is a member of the church and she feels like since abortion and gay marriage do not directly affect her that it is not that important of any issue and that God's way is free agency and that Satan is the one who tells people what they can and can't do. Needless to say I was fuming and let her have it, okay so not really but i definitely was not quiet about the subject! just nice to know that there are others that feel the need to act on our convictions.

Ashley said...

It's interesting to me that the church has gotten so into this particular vote. There must be some serious repercussions if it goes through, otherwise they would have just let people vote.